This is sponsored by Carter’s; however, all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
From day one I knew I wanted to photograph as many of Tenley’s special moments as possible. Over the past nine months I’ve pretty much gotten the hang of photographing my little one’s milestones… not without some trial and error of course! Here are my top 5 tips for getting the perfect milestone photos.
1. Comfy clothing. Your number one priority is having baby as comfortable as possible. If baby is not happy, no photos will be happening! That’s where Carter’s Little Baby Basics line comes in hand. Carter’s bodysuits are hands down my favorite thing for Tenley to wear, especially during hot Summer days and to sleep in at night. They are so soft and I know I’ll have a happy baby! In addition to comfy clothes, baby should also be fed and well rested.
2. Always have an “attention getter”. A new toy or stuffed animal always works great. If it rattles or lights up, that’s even better! I usually shake a rattle while holding the camera and this usually elicits a grin or laugh.
3. Good lighting. Let me say this again… good lighting. Windows are a new mama’s best friend! I love taking photos of Tenley in her nursery since it gets the best natural lighting in our house. Shaded outdoor photos are also a favorite of mine.
4. Posing. If they can’t sit up yet, lay them on a cute blanket and use a stool to take their photo from above. You can also use a bumbo, boppy, or stuffed animal to help them sit up. If they’re mobile, give them something to play with or snack on to help keep them still. These milestone cards from Carter’s definitely keep Tenley entertained and are a cute addition to her monthly photos.
5. Relax. This should be something fun that you and baby do together, not something stressful or forced. Babies definitely feed off of mama’s emotions, so just have fun with it!
*GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED. Winner announced in the comment section below.* Comment below to enter to win a $100 Carter’s gift card! (Giveaway ends Monday June, 20th at 8 PM) You can also use the coupon below for 20% off your purchase of $40 or more at Carter’s. Click here to find a location near you!
Carter’s partners with bloggers such as me to help promote their Little Baby Basics line. As part of the program, I received products or gift cards. Carter’s believes that consumers and bloggers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. Carter’s provided me with information on promotions and messaging concepts, but did not tell me what to purchase or what to write on my blog or what to say about the products I used.